The site was originally part of a 51-acre site first purchased from the crown in 1852 by pioneer Henry Stooke.
Stooke was a prominent citizen in the Eltham district. He was actively involved in the development of infrastructure and recreational services in the Eltham area.
The subsequent owner was Thomas Cool, manager of the Victorian Coffee Palace, which adjoined the Town Hall in Collins Street, Melbourne. Cool purchased the site in 1896 and built the homestead in the same year.....