Are you up for Tasmania’s crappiest experience? The Pooseum is a unique and quirky science museum dedicated solely to animal droppings. It is currently the only one of its kind in the world.
Far from presenting toilet humour, the Pooseum is on a serious mission to educate visitors about the fascinating world of dung. The museum offers more than 50 information panels and 25 videos on touch screens. In the Digestion Room, visitors can learn about the digestive systems of carnivores, herbivores and omnivores, and compare the 3D anatomy models of a range of animals. Visitors are invited to guess “Who is the Poopetrator” with a display of droppings from Australian animals. Children especially love the PooTube videos, kids’ corner, farting machine, elephant scales and other interactive displays. The Pootrid Shop offers a wide range of educational books, gifts and other poo related products.
Among other things, you will learn
· why not every poo smells nasty
· how dung is used to produce electricity
· why a dog in Queensland tracks koala poo
· how Canadian owls use poo to catch their dinner
· why looking like bird poo is life-saving
· how bats avoid soiling themselves
· why you shouldn’t walk barefoot on a tropical beach
· how vanillin can be produced from cow dung
· why South Africans put antelope droppings in their mouth
· how some insect larvae kill termites with their farts
· why Amazon in India sells cowpats online
· how driverless cars can become disabled by bird poo
· why a table in an English museum is made from poo
· how long it takes an elephant to defecate
· why some beetle larvae have a telescopic anus
· and much, much more
The Pooseum offers something for every age group, making it an ideal place for a family visit.